A recent CNN article featured films that inspire travel. Naturally I began thinking of adventure films that have inspired me over the years. Below is a collection of ten movies that have moved their audiences to adventure.
1. Indiana Jones: If adventure has a name… it must be Indiana Jones.
2. Touching the Void: The true story of two climbers and their perilous journey up the west face of Siula Grande in the Peruvian Andes in 1985
3. Into the Wild: After graduating from Emory University, top student and athlete Christopher McCandless abandons his possessions, gives his entire $24,000 savings account to charity and hitchhikes to Alaska to live in the wilderness
4. Easy Rider: Two counterculture bikers travel from Los Angeles to New Orleans in search of America.
5. A River Runs Through It: Two fly-fishing sons of a Presbyterian minister–one reserved, one rebellious–grow up in rural Montana.
6.Jeremiah Johnson: A mountain man who wishes to live the life of a hermit becomes the unwilling object of a long vendetta by Indians when he proves to be the match of their warriors in one-to-one combat on the early frontier.
7. Deliverance Intent: on seeing the Cahulawassee River before it’s turned into one huge lake, outdoor fanatic Lewis Medlock takes his friends on a river-rafting trip they’ll never forget into the dangerous American back-country.
8.Everest: An international team of climbers ascends Mt. Everest in the spring of 1996.
9. Planet Earth: Amazing footage of our amazing planet.
10. Seven Years in Tibet: True story of Heinrich Harrer, an Austrian mountain climber who became friends with the Dalai Lama at the time of China’s takeover of Tibet.