If you’re going on holiday with your family, then you’ll want to know that your family travel insurance actually does cover you.
Here’s how to get the best family travel insurance.
1. You’ll need to know what you want it for. Will you just opt for health insurance? Do you just want to insure your luggage and personal possessions? You won’t want to think that you’re covered on your household policy only to discover you aren’t.
2. Different types of holiday require different levels of travel insurance. You’re much less likely to break a limb whilst sitting on a beach for a fortnight, compared to snowboarding, or skiing. You’re probably more likely to lose your camera on a city break. You’ll need to ensure that you’ve got the right level of cover.
3. Once you think you’ve found the right policy, you’ll need to find out what it actually covers, and whether it’s relevant to you. Even if you’re only going on holiday for a short while, you still don’t want to take a chance with your family’s health.
4. It’s a good idea to find out what the insurance policy states regarding the replacement of lost or broken items. Is there a like for like policy? Do you only get what the old item is currently worth?
5. If you go on holiday several times a year, then it might be better to get an annual policy, rather than a policy for each trip. Perhaps your policy will cover you while you’re traveling on business as well.
6. Many foreign countries don’t have free healthcare, unlike the Canada so you’ll need to be aware that medical treatment is likely to be quite costly. Having adequate travel insurance that covers health, injuries and illnesses are totally worth it. If one of your family members becomes ill or gets injured, you don’t want to be faced with a massive bill for hospital treatment.
7. There are so many different options that choosing travel insurance can sometimes be overwhelming. This is why it is a good idea to book your travel insurance through your travel agent. A travel agent can help you find the travel insurance coverage that is right for you.
8. It is essential that you don’t pick a cheap family travel insurance policy simply because it costs less. Do not base the decision on cost; base it on what the plan covers. You don’t want to discover that your policy isn’t what you thought it was when you try and claim.