Ah, the Caribbean – fun in the sun on beautiful beaches; palm trees swaying as you dine outside on warm, tropical evenings. What a great place to get away from it all and you’ll find plenty to keep you interested and inspired on these intriguing islands.
Whether you’re staying at a boutique hotel, an all inclusive resort or cruising, there are some wonderful places to discover during your Caribbean vacation. Everyone from history buffs to nature enthusiasts, beach combers to deep sea divers will be well entertained in the islands.
Few destinations match the Caribbean as the perfect spot for a multigenerational getaway with something for every member of the family to enjoy. All inclusive resorts are an excellent, affordable choice as they have a variety of activities, entertainment and restaurants catering to the entire family.
Take a look at these fascinating islands and the special things they offer to enhance your vacation experience:
- Barbados – Beautiful Barbados has long been a popular winter vacation spot with its endless beaches, natural beauty, many attractions and fine dining. Exploring Harrison’s Cave, 4×4 island safaris and snorkelling are some of the highlights. Enjoy an English Afternoon Tea at a sugar plantation and learn about the island’s British colonial heritage. Barbados is also recognized for its world class golf courses.
- Bonaire – Tiny Bonaire sits just off the coast of Venezuela. Noted for its excellent diving and sailing opportunities, it is a charming island, part of the Dutch Caribbean. The pink flamingos which flock around the salt flats are just one bird species to be seen in this island famous for its nature conservation efforts. The town of Kralendijk is the place for a fascinating historical walk.
- Dominica – Unspoiled Dominica is a must for eco and adventure travellers; excellent for families wanting to enjoy nature and some outdoor adventure on their Caribbean vacation. On this mountainous island you can hike through the lush rainforest, see exotic wildlife, enjoy spectacular ocean views, swim and relax at a secluded cove. Dominica makes an excellent port of call on your cruise or plan to stay longer on a land vacation at one of the tranquil boutique hotels or ecolodges.
- Dominican Republic – The sunny Dominican Republic has perfected the all inclusive resort concept for budget travellers; an oasis where you can be as busy or as lazy as you like with all the activities and fun your family could want. There are many to choose from especially in the postcard perfect Punta Cana area. It’s well worth a visit to the capital city of Santo Domingo, to explore the oldest continuously inhabited European settlement in the Americas. The Samana Peninsula in the north is an excellent area for adventure and water sports, activities in the mountains and rainforest.
- Grand Cayman – Flat, sandy Grand Cayman has several attractions to keep you busy: Relax on Seven Mile Beach, swim with the rays at Stingray city, learn about sea turtles at the Cayman turtle farm and visit the town of Hell with its jagged rock formation. It’s an excellent island for diving thanks to its unique geology. Enjoy duty free shopping in George Town.
- Puerto Rico – San Juan is the Caribbean’s biggest city and cultural centre. Here you’ll find great nightlife and the world’s largest rum distillery. Strolling the cobbled streets of Old San Juan and El Morro fortress is a fascinating experience as you step back into Spanish Colonial times. Around the island, visit the bioluminescent bays lit up by marine plankton, hike the El Yunque rainforest, bike the dry Guanica forest and visit Mona island, the Galapagos of Puerto Rico.
- St. John, US Virgin Islands – Here you’ll find panoramic views, hiking trails, fabulous beaches, and a wide range of water activities making it the perfect spot for active travellers. Two thirds of the island is a National Park! St. John is also a treat for history buffs who will enjoy visiting the archaeological digs, seeing Pre-Columbian petroglyphs and the ruins of sugar plantations from a bygone era.
- St. Lucia – The towering Piton Peaks make St. Lucia one of the most dramatically beautiful islands in the Caribbean. Enjoy rainforest ziplining, swimming in waterfalls, turtle viewing and a range of land and water sports. The island has an excellent selection of resorts to choose from, many geared to families.
- St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands – There is a lot to do on this island, known as the shopping capital of the Caribbean. It’s a duty free shopping centre with a long history as a trading port. You’ll find great deals on everything from fine jewellery to electronics to Caribbean rum at the excellent selection of shops.
Of course these are just some of the Caribbean islands which are ready to welcome you. They certainly offer a great mix of things to do all year round for a refreshing family getaway.
Ever been to the Caribbean? Share your experience below!