Thinking of traveling to New Orleans…? Julie, an agent in our office, recently visited New Orleans and has some tips to help you make the very most of your trip to ‘Nawlins…!
- Upon arrival at the airport, line up at a taxi stand. Taxis have set rates and are more affordable than the shuttles waiting at arrivals. Also, taxis offer a direct ride to your hotel, whereas most shuttles have numerous stops along the way.
- If possible, stay in the French Quarter or on Canal street which just borders the French Quarter. There’s nothing like being so central with all the bustling activity of the Quarter!
- Don’t miss visiting Bourbon Street with its restaurants, bars, happy hours and live music everywhere! Try to avoid staying on Bourbon Street, however, and try to stay at least two blocks away; it is a very noisy street at night.
- Visit Frenchman Street – it is where the locals hang out – wonderful bars and ongoing music – all with the added touch of local flair!
- Carry small bills in your pocket. There are street entertainers and buskers everywhere and they all appreciate the odd dollar here and there to help them out!
- Nawlins’ is famous for it’s cuisine! Be sure to try local fare at the many eateries and restaurants. Try Gumbo, Chicken Etoufee, Jambalaya, Hush puppies and creole anything!
- Consider negotiating a price for a taxi for a day or half day – it is the quickest and safest way to travel throughout the French District.
- Although a relatively safe city, there is crime and with all the bustling activity it is always best to remember to leave your valuables back at your hotel!
- Time your visit for the best weather! Early Spring or Late Fall are ideal – with temperatures in the mid 20s. Visit in the summer and you are sure to be experiencing temps of 30 degrees or higher.
- Like Las Vegas, the ideal length of a visit to lively, bustling New Orleans is typically 3 nights minimum with 4 or 5 being the maximum – this city is so stimulating it will exhaust you!
To book your exciting trip to New Orleans, please contact Julie at Julie@lloydstravel.com
For another great US destination with abundant cultural and local flair, please see City Snap Guide: San Antonio