Heading to Oahu? Here are a few tips to help you make the most out of your Waikiki vacation:
- Food in Hawaii is expensive whether you are eating out or buying groceries. With numerous Starbucks scattered throughout the city – grabbing a coffee and a baked item is a good way to save a dollar and get a handy breakfast to go to start your day!
- There are numerous ABC stores scattered throughout the city. They truly carry a little of everything. It is always a great idea to visit one to stock up on everything from snacks to personal items to last minute clothing needs for your stay.
- Be sure to visit/hike Diamondhead. It is a volcanic cone overlooking the city and the views of Waikiki from atop are spectacular! If possible, plan your hike in the morning – temps can get quite high in the afternoon.
- Getting around Waikiki is simple. For the most part you can walk anywhere and most areas are also easily reachable by bus. Alternatively, you can rent a bike; cycling around the city is an excellent to see all the sights at your own pace.
- Head over to Hanama Bay! It’s a beautiful, protected, marine life conservation area formed within a volcanic cone. The shallow waters make for perfect snorkelling and the thrill of coming face to face with tropical fish is a delight for kids and adults alike. There are shuttles from most hotels and buses that tour the area. Once there, be sure to hike around the bay and take in all the local nature and surroundings.
- Try something new! Most beaches are set up with various water activity gear and lessons. Maybe this is the chance to finally learn to surf!
- Rent a car for the day. The entire island is very accessible by car. Spend the day stopping along the coast at various sites to swim, picnic or just relax in the sun!